It is important to limit the amount of screen time (TV, video games, computer, smart phones) your child uses.
Screen-based activities are not recommended for children under 2 years. A child can learn more by playing and talking with you rather than using electronic devices. However, well-chosen shows and games can be aids to language growth. Their usefulness can be boosted by you.
- Choose shows and games that are appropriate for the age of your child
- Enjoy shows and games with your child
- Ask questions about a show. ("Who was jumping up and down?")
- Listen and respond to what your child says. ("Yes, the little girl was lost.")
- Relate the show to your child's home life. ("Is that dog like our dog?")
- Point out objects, colours, sizes and shapes, and repeat the words
- Sing along or clap to the rhythm when watching musical programs