A traditional time for "family talk" is mealtime. All family members can be included in the conversation.
- Repeat the names of objects and foods (spoon, potato)
- Ask the child questions about daily routines
- Take turns talking - avoid the chaos of many conversations at once
- Allow the child to help set and clear the table ("Where does the cup go?", "Bring me all the spoons.")
- Use interesting words. ("Those peas are mushy.", "My milk is ice cold.")
- Talk to the infant or child and listen carefully to his answers and questions.
- Use size and amount words in conversation. ("Do you want a big glass of milk?", "Do you want more potatoes?")
Go to PBS Parents to find out more.
Kid Talk Video: